A Series of Unfortunate Events #2

In continuation with the post that I just made, my second series of unfortunate events was in relation to the mini baby I have been working on. When I realized I was getting nowhere with my large head, (and fast), I decided to get back to work on my mini. I worked two days on a set of arms that I thought were some of my best yet. I put them in to bake and set a timer for fifteen minutes and when the timer went off, and I went to take them out, I was stunned at what I saw. Black tips of fingers, dark brown skin in other areas... blackened elbows... it was awful!! All my hard work gone! I could not figure out why they had burned like this. I have never burnt any of my sculpting before. It has happened to so many of my fellow artists, so I knew it was bound to happen to me one day... but why that day!? :)

I finally realized that I had set the oven to 375 instead of 275. I have been baking a lot of bread and cookies in the last few months, so I think being away from my sculpting while doing my resins... and only baking items that were always set to 375, I just automatically set it to that without thinking. Needless to say, I won't do that again!!

After a few days work, tonight I finally finished arms and legs for this little guy and I just pulled them out of the oven a little while ago. I am anxious to paint him and put him together. I made very newborn looking limbs for this one... working from pictures of my nephew to go with the head I made from his pictures. The feet and hands are more wrinkly than my usual... quite cute! I hope he turns out like I have him in my mind.

Anyways, I thought I would share a picture of my poor boy with his "unfortunate" limbs. :(

A Series of Unfortunate Events

It is just after five in the morning and the sun is already rising. I still have not gotten used to the sun coming up so early and staying up so late in the day. It was only yesterday that I realized it is now light until about 9 at night here. I love having so many hours of sunlight. It is a shame though, when you still haven't gone to bed and the sun is already on the way up! :)

My series of unfortunate events began with working on a large head for hours on end to the point that my fingers and hands were actually cramping... to come out with a face like this...

Only to decide I didn't like it, and change it to this...
Only to yet again, decide I did not like it and change it to this...

Then I tweaked it a bit more to this...

and finally to this....

At this point, I still had to finish putting that eye on the left side in and get the cheek to match the other one, among a few other things. One day I woke up, looked at it, and decided it was just not realistic enough and destroyed the whole thing. What a waste of many long days of work that was!! Now I look back at some of these pictures and wish I had kept features from all of them. :)


From Small to Big

Just thought I would check in since it's been awhile. After sculpting my last little head, I kept wishing it was lifesize. Probably the fact that he looks like my nephew did at birth did not help! :) So off to work I went on a lifesize head. I am at the point now where I cannot count how many times I have resculpted the face on this one. I have realized no matter how hard I try, I cannot replicate something I've already done! Going from a sculpt so tiny to one so big is also a challenge in many ways.

I am finally making good progress with this head though, and am hoping that in the end I will like it enough to have it reproduced into a kit doll. I will keep you posted as I finish up this head. I hope to finish it this week, but if I change my mind again on the face then it definitely won't be this week! :)